"I sought among them for a man that might set up a hedge, and stand in the gap before me in favor of the land." Ezekiel 22:30

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

God, the Ultimate Teacher, Has a Sense of Humor

If there's one thing I'm convinced of in this topsy-turvy, whacked-out world of ours, it's that God does have a sense of humor. The fact that he let me get married and have kids is perhaps His best practical joke. But I digress...

God is also the perfect teacher. As with a good comedian, His timing is impeccable.

Yesterday, the day before oral arguments began before the Supreme Court of the United States of America in cases which seek to presume to define marriage in this country (as if laws can re-write human nature), we find this Epistle reading in the good ol' traditional Latin Mass (the Extraordinary Form of the Mass for you TLM newbies):
2 Timothy 4:1-8Dearly beloved: I charge thee, before God and Jesus Christ, who shall judge the living and the dead, by his coming, and his kingdom: Preach the word: be instant in season, out of season: reprove, entreat, rebuke in all patience and doctrine. For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables [emphasis mine]. But be thou vigilant, labour in all things, do the work of an evangelist, fulfil thy ministry. Be sober. For I am even now ready to be sacrificed: and the time of my dissolution is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith. As to the rest, there is laid up for me a crown of justice, which the Lord the just judge will render to me in that day: and not only to me, but to them also that love his coming. Make haste to come to me quickly.
Up is down. Down is up. One and one does not equal two.

As an additional thought, I'll leave you with words from the beloved Pope Benedict XVI shortly before becoming pope:
We are building a dictatorship of relativism that does not recognize anything as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of one's own ego and desires. 
This is the mantra of the day. The world does not endure sound doctrine in our modern age.

It would be even more comical if it weren't so sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment