"I sought among them for a man that might set up a hedge, and stand in the gap before me in favor of the land." Ezekiel 22:30

Monday, May 12, 2014

The Ontology of Boredom and Culture of Death

As much as I would like to claim it, I cannot take credit for the title of this blog. The title can be properly attributed to a YouTube video in which professor Dr. R.J. Snell gives a lecture to an honors class at Eastern University. Dr. Snell has made somewhat of a specialty writing and talking about modern culture from a Thomistic perspective, especially on the topics of love, sex, morality, and religion. A selection of his writings can be found here.

I wish I could begin to summarize the video/lecture for you, but due to time constraints, fatigue, and just general mind-blown-ness, I'm afraid I can't do it proper justice. However, I can tell you that sloth, laziness, boredom, nihilism, freedom, morality, creation, and faith are a few of the topics - that I can remember - which Dr. Snell touches on in his lecture.

Suffice it to say, the lecture is flat-out amazing. If you want an eloquent summary of the plight of modern man and how we got to be where we are, watch this video. If you don't like philosophy, morality, or religion, well, maybe you shouldn't watch this video. If you do decide to watch it, be aware that it is an hour long, so make sure you have the time.

 The Ontology of Boredom and Culture of Death

No comments:

Post a Comment