"I sought among them for a man that might set up a hedge, and stand in the gap before me in favor of the land." Ezekiel 22:30

Monday, March 24, 2014

"My" Feast Day of the Archangel Gabriel

I have to get this one in before the end of the day.

Today, March 24th is the Feast of the Archangel Gabriel (my namesake and patron) in the traditional Roman calendar. I like to think of it as "my" feast day (Just kidding!)

I wanted to share the Collect from the propers of today's Mass in the tridentine rite (extraordinary form). I find it's a simple yet powerful prayer.
O God, who did choose from among all other angels the Archangel Gabriel to announce the mystery of Thine Incarnation, grant in Thy mercy that celebrating his feast on earth we may reap the effect of his protection in heaven.
I know we're not supposed to "name" our guardian angels, but I've always felt as if I've had the Archangel Gabriel watching over me.

I've always been proud to bear the name of this angel (except of course when someone calls me "Gabrielle." I hate that.). The mystery of the Annunciation, which we celebrate tomorrow, has always felt more real to me because of this connection with the Archangel Gabriel, and in some ways, I've almost felt ownership of it - not in a bad way though. I really think this is part of why the Church says children are supposed to be given a biblical name or a saint's name, so that we can come to more deeply appreciate and connect with the life of the saint, or in my case, connect with this great mystery of the faith.

Does your name make you feel more connected to a particular saint or story?

No comments:

Post a Comment