"I sought among them for a man that might set up a hedge, and stand in the gap before me in favor of the land." Ezekiel 22:30

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Re-blog: "The Birth of the iPhone (and the Death of People Watching)"

Somehow, in searching the backroads of the internet, I found the blog The Death of Catholicism. Before you judge the name of the blog, you need to go over there and read his explanation. It's actually very insightful.

I don't know the author (but I wish I did!). He seems to have it spot on. And he writes really well, which is always a bonus.

So, I wanted to share a portion of one of his recent posts entitled "The Birth of the iPhone (and the Death of People Watching)." I love this piece of writing. Enjoy!
Two days after I got my new iPhone, I was sitting with my wife in the waiting room of her OB, waiting to get a sonogram of our coming-in-January baby (it’s a boy, if you’re wondering). We love our doctor, but when we go to her office where they do their sonos, we always have to wait at least 45 minutes. It kind of sucks, but it provides a perfect opportunity for people-watching. While we were waiting that day, I looked around the room.Nine other people in the room. Nine people on their phones. Four of those were couples on their cells simultaneously.

Perhaps you are like me and get upset by the very mention of a situation like this. I scoffed internally. What a waste.

What to do with glazed-over eyes staring at screens? They do nothing! They tell no story! They express no personhood! All these gloriously different people become a monotonous redundancy when their phones get involved.

And at the OBGyn, the shame of wasting such prime people-watching is exponentially worse. I mean, it’s the scene of the height of human drama! Life and death, teen pregnancies and barren wives, first-time moms and first-time STD carriers, hopes and fears and dreams and anxieties all sitting in the same room, waiting to see what direction their lives will go. But when you have TMZ’s website at your fingertips, the distraction steals the intensity of the moment.

Ugh.

Of course, my self-righteousness and indignation reached the boiling point. I shook my head. I know, I thought. This would be perfect for a blog post.

So I reached for my phone to type a little reminder to myself. I went to my list of reminders and saw a note about an outdoor event at work the next day.

I better check the weather while I’m at it…30 seconds later….ooh look, new MLB Power Rankings on ESPN.com!

And that was it. I was one of them.

I was that guy.
Read the whole thing over at The Death of Catholicism.

And check out the follow-up blog: "The Birth of the iPhone (and the Death of Parenting)."

No comments:

Post a Comment