"I sought among them for a man that might set up a hedge, and stand in the gap before me in favor of the land." Ezekiel 22:30

Monday, November 11, 2013

Libertarians vs. the Tea Party. I could've told you so.

I saw this a few weeks ago, but I'm just now getting around to posting it:
Most American libertarians do not consider themselves part of the conservative Tea Party movement despite a public perception that the two political groups are linked, according to a national survey released on Tuesday.
Read the rest here.
I could have told you this a long time ago. I even touched on the subject of freedom a little while ago in this post.

The problem with libertarians is that they really are liberal in the truest sense of the word. For hard-core libertarians, freedom is the be-all, end-all answer for everything.

Government? Who needs government? We should be able to do whatever we want! Smoke pot? Sure! If it makes you happy. Have an abortion? The government shouldn't keep you from a "safe" procedure. Start a war in Iraq? Heck no! (But we should definitely punish Syria for using chemical weapons.) In the mind of a true libertarian liberal, nothing should keep an individual from doing what they want - not the government, not the Church, not morality.

This just scratches the surface, and doesn't even get into all the inconsistencies and contradictions of full-on liberalism.

Contrarily, the Tea Party, with all its love of liberty and special focus on fiscal responsibility, still maintains (at least I think hope that it does) that [limited] government is essential, family values are important, and even though freedom, liberty, & independence are to be revered and protected, they are not the ultimate societal values. Freedom is great, but I think most people who identify with the Tea Party will admit that we need government to provide some services (e.g., national defense) and certain values, such as fiscal responsibility, are at least equal in importance to liberty. I think most Tea Partiers would consider themselves pro-life and pro-marriage.

That's just my perception of the Tea Party though, and it could be wrong.

The data shoes libertarians don't identify with the Tea Party, but as much as the Tea Party wants to be "libertarian", they aren't, and shouldn't be. There's a vast difference between "give me libery or give me death" and give me liberty because I don't want anybody to tell me what to do.

 ***Update***

After writing this blog post, I found another article entitled "The Problem With Libertarians" which you can read here.  Since the article's author writes for Townhall and I am a lowly on-my-own blogger, he sums up the problem much more eloquently than I can. Check out his article

No comments:

Post a Comment