"I sought among them for a man that might set up a hedge, and stand in the gap before me in favor of the land." Ezekiel 22:30

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Taking A Step Back

There is a lot going on in the world right now.

A LOT.

With so much going on, we can sometimes get caught up in voicing our opinion on this and that, and thinking we have to weigh in on everything to maybe, hopefully, possibly change someone's mind. Or at least feel better because we "got it off our chest."

I know I do this. When I catch myself falling into the abyss of information and opinion overload, I know the next step I need to take is not forward, but backwards; a step back to enable myself to see the situation - and everything really - for what it is: just a small part of the fallen, created world of God, Our Father. Rome wasn't built in day. And even Jesus didn't make everyone agree with him. Why should I be so concerned about it?

I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to be the President of the United States right now. All snide comments about Obama aside, it would be one heck of a job. Think about some of the things he's dealing with right now:

  • The Shutdown (regardless of whose fault it is)
  • The failing ObamaCare implementation
  • Syria
  • Syria
  • And Syria
  • Benghazi
  • Iraq
  • Afghanistan
  • The economy (that's a whopper)
This is obviously only a partial list. But how many of us deal with things of that magnitude at all in our daily lives, except in a dabbling, half-interested sort of way? I don't think I do. Maybe someday, but not now.

And even beyond what the president would have to deal with, there a laundry list of things to care about, have opinions on, and be bothered with: Pope Francis' antics, the MLB playoffs, NFL and college football, Miley Cyrus, Ben Affleck, global warming, scientific discoveries, buzzfeed lists, blogs, YouTube videos, the latest twitchy posts, not to mention your friends, and family, - both in person and online - and on, and on, and on.

Frankly, it's all too much. I recently heard a statistic that is as frightening as it is striking; amazing as it is aggravating:
It is estimated that a week's worth of the New York Times contains more information than one person was likely to come across in their lifetime in the 18th Century.
Ponder that for a second.

All this context is obfuscating my underlying point, which goes thus:

With all the stuff going on that's worth commenting on, I could throw out my opinion on each and every little thing... for what? Who is really listening to me? We live in a narcissistic world where we all think our opinion really is the one that matters. Sure, you can tweet out your thoughts on X, Y, or Z, but so what? There are millions of little minions like you and me, each with our own small little circle of influence. We can easily feel like kings. But most of us are just kings locked away in a castle. For those of you who know me, you know I'm very opinionated, and it might be shocking to read this. If you don't know me, this might sound like someone who's given up on the world. Quite the contrary.

My point is that we, I, need to step back sometimes; rather a lot of the time. Most of the world is beyond me and my influence. My own self-aggrandizing ego has a tough time coming to grips with that fact. I have to constantly tell myself to control the things you can control; love those whom you can love. But above all, pray and leave the rest to God.

All this is to explain why I haven't been quite as active on this blog lately. Put simply, there is too much, and I don't know where to start most of the time. So, as long as there is so much out there, you may see fewer opinions and more introspection on here.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment