"I sought among them for a man that might set up a hedge, and stand in the gap before me in favor of the land." Ezekiel 22:30

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Masculinity and the Liturgy - "He stands in the gap..."

I was about to go to bed last night, but a quick check of facebook led me to see a post by a friend of mine. She had shared a link to a blog post at The Catholic Gentleman entitled "Masculinity and the Liturgy."

This title of course piqued my interest. So, naturally I started reading the rather lengthy post. The author makes seven points as to why he believes men generally do not love mass anymore.

I got really excited when I got to #4...

4. The priest faces the people - Frankly, most people don’t think the priest facing the people is a big deal. Even if it is, it doesn’t have much to do with masculinity, right? Wrong. It has a lot to do with it.

When the priest faces the same direction as the people (ad orientem), he is very clearly leading them before the throne of God. He is the representative of the people of God before an awesome and objective reality. He stands in the gap, [my emphasis added] offering sacrifices for us and for our sins—something we cannot do on our own. He is the captain, leading us toward heaven.
YES!!!

Another metaphor for the name of my blog. The meaning is so deep isn't it?

Naturally, being a bit groggy and lacking the ability to focus, I stopped reading the post at #4. I'll finish it sometime.

If you so desire, you can read the whole post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment