"I sought among them for a man that might set up a hedge, and stand in the gap before me in favor of the land." Ezekiel 22:30

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Student Shot Dead; Nobody Seems to Care

Something is wrong with the world. Seriously wrong on so many levels.

 From The Blaze:
Student Randomly Shot Dead by Gang of Teens Just ‘For the Fun of It’, Police Say
Police say an Australian student visiting the U.S. on a baseball scholarship was randomly shot dead on Friday by a group of three teenagers who later confessed to authorities they killed him “for the fun of it.”
Chris Lane, 23, was jogging in a small Oklahoma town Friday night after visiting his girlfriend of four years when a gang of teenagers mercilessly gunned him down and left him to die...

Have you heard about this story? Maybe; chances are you have not.

Why not?

Because it doesn't fit the narrative. "White person killed by black person" doesn't sell papers or increase ratings.

But it sure raises my blood pressure.

I'm heartbroken about the senseless act of violence. I can't even begin to imagine what this young man's family and girlfriend are going through. I don't want to imagine it. Killing is killing and there's nothing more permanent than death. The fact that these hooligans with nothing better to do took an innocent life "for the fun of it" makes me furious. It's difficult not to say some uncharitable things, so the best I can do is, God have mercy on their souls.

Where is the national outrage? Where are the headlines, the experts and talking heads on TV, where is the president? But how could he know when his own spokesperson didn't know about it.

Well, some folks are talking. An article by John McRorter titled "Don't Ignore Race In Christopher Lane's Murder" appeared on the Time magazine website this morning. I'm sure other outlets will pick up on it too. But will it spark a national riot discussion on race like the Zimmerman case did? We will see. I doubt it though.

Honestly, I wish it didn't come down to this. I wish I didn't have to vent about the hypocrisy in the media and the White House for ignoring a horrific crime. Shame on every media outlet who chose to ignore this or only mention it in passing. We sure heard enough about George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin. #JusticeForTrayvon was heard around the world. Where is #JusticeForChris? Where are Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and other black leaders?

Look, I'm not one to cry "racist." Personally, I don't care what the color of your skin is. We're all children of God. BUT! I do care how you act. Actions can be controlled; skin color cannot. We all know issues of race are some of the most volatile in this day and age, so covering this story, the Zimmerman case, or anything else will not make the problem go away. We need not just a "discussion" on race; we need action.

Until we get action in the right direction, all the words in the world are meaningless.


UPDATE (8/23/13):

Saw this story on Drudge. Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment