"I sought among them for a man that might set up a hedge, and stand in the gap before me in favor of the land." Ezekiel 22:30

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

"It Isn't Grape Juice and Wonderbread"

My colleague Elizabeth Westhoff published a tremendous blog post recently on the importance of Holy Communion and why it should be taken so seriously. And in case you're wondering, yes, this is intended for a Catholic audience, but even if you're not Catholic you could probably learn something.

Here's an excerpt:
My parish, the Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis, is the mother church of the archdiocese.  It is also one of the largest collections of mosaics in the world, an absolutely breathtaking structure and is, therefore, also the “tourist parish” of our archdiocese.  As such, there are often people who have popped in to take a look and who stay for Mass—Catholics and non-Catholics alike... I have, on occasion, stopped people to request that they either consume the Eucharist if they are Catholic or give it to me so that I could consume it after I have seen them put the Host in a pocket or purse after receiving it.  It isn’t that I’ve named myself “Host Police” and am on a mission to interrupt the reception of the Blessed Sacrament; it’s that, as a Catholic, I know what they are so casually stuffing into a pocket isn’t simply a bit of pressed gluten. It isn’t a “symbolic representation” of something.  It IS the Body of Christ and even if their intentions aren’t menacing and their actions are based on ignorance, it is my responsibility to prevent a grave error from being committed. Again, I assume these people aren’t Catholic and that they simply don’t understand the gravity of what they’ve done...

What you are receiving each and every time you receive Holy Communion isn’t simply bread.  It isn’t simply wine.  It is the Divine.  It is God.  It is, in the truest sense of the word—awesome
I really could not have said it better myself. Which is in itself saying something!

I encourage you to read the whole post on the official Archdiocese of St. Louis blog, Areopagus.

No comments:

Post a Comment