"I sought among them for a man that might set up a hedge, and stand in the gap before me in favor of the land." Ezekiel 22:30

Monday, August 19, 2013

"Bigorexia" a.k.a. "Self-Obsession"

Saw this interesting story today pop up on Drudge Report.

The new trend has been called “bigorexia” and it could come with some serious health consequences.
Early in his career, personal trainer Alfonso Moretti was obsessed with building his own muscles.
“It takes over your life. Every decision you make becomes the workout and how your body looks. I used to track and weigh every single ounce of food that went in my body. I used to wake up at 3 o’clock in the morning to drink protein shakes. I never missed a workout, ever, ever, ever,” he told CBS 2′s Maurice Dubois.
As many as 45-percent of men have fallen victim to bigorexia or muscle dysmorphia, according to Dr. Michele Kerulis the director of sports & health psychology at the Adler School of Professional Psychology.
You can read the whole story here.

I find this story interesting because it does point out a problem with our society: self-obsession. Generally speaking, I would say women tend to fall victim to the desire for a "perfect body", or at least that is what we are told. But, I posit that is also because society pushes women to think they need the "perfect body." The truth is, it doesn't matter if you're a man or a woman, we have a natural tendency to be self-absorbed.

Now don't get me wrong, I like to work out. I've grown up doing it. My dad is a strength and conditioning coach, so I basically grew up in a weight room. I know the difference between being obsessed with size, strength, and looks, versus maximizing and harnessing your body's natural ability. Sadly, not everyone knows the difference, and the line, which isn't much of a fine line in the first place, gets blurred.

My point to all this is this: our bodies are gifts from God. We don't "own" them anymore than you own a rental car. We should strive to take care of them and maximize their potential. At the same time we shouldn't want to look like a slob any more than we should want to look like Arnold. The key is moderation. This tendency towards self-absorption isn't a new phenomenon though. Human nature doesn't change and I can't dictate societal norms from my keyboard (as much as I would like to).

So, the next time you look in the mirror don't degrade yourself for being to fat, too skinny, or too much anything in-between; instead look at your body and your tendency towards self-absorption/self-obsession as a challenge to overcome on your way to becoming the best you that God wants you to be.

1 comment:

  1. A good reminder, Gabe! At least I know now not to try and mess with you :)

    ReplyDelete