"I sought among them for a man that might set up a hedge, and stand in the gap before me in favor of the land." Ezekiel 22:30

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Why Sports Fans Can't be Democrats

I think athletics offers an excellent opportunity to promote the virtues of conservatism (mind you I said conservatism and not Republican-ism), and so with some help, I came up with an example to illustrate how any fan of athletics should never consider themselves either a liberal or a Democrat. Hopefully you're fan of basketball, or better yet you coach or play it. I am all three, so I hope this clever analogy will clearly illustrate my point.

Let's say you are watching a basketball game, and Team A is beating Team B by a large margin. Let's say the two teams are evenly matched as far as talent, teamwork, and coaching goes. Both teams work just as hard as each other, but Team B is losing due to some circumstances which have arisen. Maybe their best player fouled out, or got hurt; or maybe a couple of their players were ineligible...whatever the circumstances are, they tipped the balance of these two otherwise evenly matched teams. Heck, we could even say the teams weren't balanced at all; Team A was just better than Team B because of better talent in their school district.I ask you, would it not be right, in the name of FAIRNESS to take one of Team A's players and give it to Team B? Or maybe it would be FAIR for Team A to give some of their EXTRA points to Team B to even it up a bit?

Shouldn't the refs have some responsibility to even up the game by switching players, points, or calling it differently?If you are at all a self-respecting, logical, and competitive person, you would obviously give a resounding "NO" because that would go against the fundamental idea of athletics.I ask you, what's the difference then between athletics and life/politics? As coaches don't we always tell our players that athletics is a microcosm of life? How can you possibly believe in redistribution of wealth, but not points? Aren't the refs in a game in basically the same position as the government is in life? I know I might feel sorry for Team B, so I might cheer harder, but I would also expect them to WORK harder as well. If I were on Team B as a player or coach, I would NOT expect a handout from anyone. I would accept my circumstances and outwork the other team, because what better reward to have faced enormous obstacles and overcome them?

Teddy Roosevelt said it best: "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." When you take away a person's reason to work hard and give them an excuse, they WILL not work hard.

Take someone's WILL and they WILL not work.I believe that one's beliefs must be held to the same standard across the board, from sports to life. You can't go picking and choosing what to believe and where to believe it. Believe it all the time. Have the courage to stand up for your convictions ALL THE TIME in every facet of daily life. If your beliefs in athletics cannot be reconciled with your beliefs about life in general, you need to find a good mirror and stare for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment